Tuesday, November 8, 2011

For the Love of Couponing....or NOT !



I've always been a budget Betty...Looking for sales, couponing a little, and happy buying second hand.  I have felt lately that I have been led to give; Give more than I have been. Good works have always made me feel full !.I have been blessed beyond measure and I believe that when you help those less fortune than you, your return will be 10 fold.  I started donating one hour of pay to the YMCA, and I found a 20 dollar bill on a run....I got the message Loud and Clear !

  I've committed to filling 5 shoes boxes for  Operation Christmas Child Shoeboxes. a simple and practical way to brighten up the lives of needy children around the world.  I also have my kids helping me; reminding them of other situations around the world.  They were shocked that kids would need tooth brushes for Christmas.  They are still young, so I haven't shared the whole story of my life with them. I was raised by a single dad, he took care of my sister and I, (although my grandparents help a lot so that he could work).
One year, under my tree was filled with "found" toys from the airlines where he worked.  His coworkers knew of our situation and any time a kid left a stuff animal, barbie, or dolly on the plane; they'd keep them for us. (These were unclaimed for several months ;) My dad wrapped all those used gifts to keep our Christmas magical and it always was ;)

When you're on a really tight budget, it might be easy to feel like you don't have any extra wiggle room to be able to afford to buy the items needed to fill a shoebox, especially when you are saving for college, family vacations, down payments on a house, etc. !! . If that's how you're feeling, you definitely will want to watch this video by Clair from Mummy Deals where she shared creative ways their family is filling 45 shoe boxes for $45! I was very inspired!, thus leading me to fill.

I use this website to help me find deals and save on supplies. MoneySavingMom.com is an upbeat and encouraging blog dedicated to helping you find great deals, stretch your hard-earned dollars, and live on less than you make so you can save more and give more.

I will spare you the details of my very long( 3 hrs) and eventful trip to three stores to get these .25 cent a box crayons..  At the end, I understood completely why people don't coupon or run around finding deals, BUT as I filled those boxes I was reminded that my 3hrs of annoying, was most likely nothing compared the the daily struggles others face.  So, I will go again and find more deals to fill- so that I can brighten a child's life during this season of giving.

1 comment:

  1. Hey Gina!

    I awarded you the Liebster Blog Award and couldn't find your email address, so I had to leave a comment. Congrats and I love your blog!

    ~Jennifer
    www.blissfullyeverafter.net

    ReplyDelete

09 10 11 12
Blogging tips