Friday, October 11, 2013

Kitchen Remodel Part 1

The Kitchen in this house almost made me not want to buy it.  It really is where I spend most of my time and it needed quite a bit of work and I wasn't sure how that would fit into our budget. I wasn't sure I could live with things undone until the budget permitted finishing. 
 
Here is how it looked before we moved in:
 

The largest problem was that the kitchen is completely walled in. The walls, paint and low ceilings made it feel very tiny (Texas tiny) and defineatly tiny compared to the rest of the house.  There  was a large soffit that ran over the sink and jetted out.  The fluorescent light was so large and gave a dull light.  I got my handy sledge hammer and got to work.  My dad and I busted down both the light and soffit.  Rob did a majority of the over the sink repair. I did have a crew of sheet rock guys who finished the job. I replaced the fluorescent
light with can lights....or I should say I bought can lights and my electrician installed them.  I don't mess with electricity.

 
 
My second order of business was removing the tile.  Choosing new tile and grout was a gut wrenching experience.  The amount of choices out there make the final choice all that much harder.  I had several inspiration photos.
 
 
Stunning isn't it !  Love. I could move right in and not change a thing.  This photo is from Cote De Texas, if you don't stalk this blog, you should start.  This is where I chose my paint color for my whole house  BM Bone White.
 
I really wanted to do hardwoods in the kitchen but you access my pool through the kitchen door and I didn't want to lose my mind worring about water on the wood all day every day.  Tile it was.
 
 

Photo 2
 
Also from Cote De Texas, look at the terra cotta tiles, such a fresh and yet slightly different look.  These terra cotta tiles are not even close to being in my budget, so I hunted for a similar look.  I also had the problem of selecting tile that didn't have to match my counter tops, that change will happen in the second kitchen update.
 
I found a steal of deal at Tile, FloorsandDecor.  They shipped me samples at a great low price and I ended up choosing a tile very similar to this Maia.  My tile is no longer available. That's the trouble with liquidation stores, so buy more than you need and save the extras. I used Haystack grout from Home Depot. I recommend making a sample board if you are really not sure what color to choose.
 
Here is our in progress livable kitchen
 


 
 
 
 
Changing the lighting and paint made the most impact.  Next to do is backsplash, counters, and appliances, but I want a Thermador double oven so it will be awhile :)
 
Sources:
 
Painted Cabinets:  BM White Dove and Rustoleum Cabinet Transformation Sea Side on the island
Sink: Craigslist ;) Best find yet !
Faucet: Overstock
Cabinet hardware: Pottery Barn
Chandelier: Shades of light
Clock: Target
Lamps: Home Goods
Dresser: Big Lots 8 years ago
Curtain Rod: Pottery barn
Curtains: Ikea with Hobby Lobby clips
Chairs and Table:  Craigslist
Pumpkin Artwork: Painted by me
 
Framed artwork: http://jonesdesigncompany.com/  Love her blog !
 
Sharing at:
 
I will work on the button thing, I better with a drill and sledge hammer !
 
 

2 comments:

  1. You have beautiful taste! I love your island and the hood! Found you via The Nester and I'm excited to follow along. We are remodeling an old house, too, so I can empathize! :)

    ~Amber

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Amber- you have your work cut out for you! Excited to see what you do!

      Delete

09 10 11 12
Blogging tips